Thursday, August 17, 2006

I Could Be Dell-irious

I Saw You

You: Dark, handsome man. Mid-Twenties. Jovial countenance. Sitting in the Barnes and Noble Cafe on San Jose Blvd. Too occupied with your Dell laptop to notice my stares.

Me: Concerned citizen. Here to warn you of your potentially lethal fate!

Ignorance is bliss. Sure you are happy now, but you won't be so thrilled when you're causually playing Minesweeper and sipping your double soy macchiato, no foam, 2 splendas; and suddenly your Dell explodes in your face!



Assuming you are fortunate enough to survive the blow, you'll still have to grieve the loss of the four dollars you wasted on your coffee. And it will probably be hard to cope with the fact, that in order to play solitaire you will actually need to find a deck of cards. But it will all be ok, because I'll be waiting for you by the magazine rack (despite any disfigurments resulting from the burns).

But on a more serious note...
At first I pitied Mr. Dell, and then came to realize that my sympathy was unjustified. I too am a potential victim. Afterall, my iBook contains the same Sony made, combustion prone, litium ion battery as Mr. Dell's laptop. But furthermore, I am susceptible to the overheating battery we call life. I run an abundance of "applications": scholar, retail sales associate, amateur blogger, daughter, friend, etc. How does one decided when they must force quite (or I guess control-alt-delete for you PC users)? Or is overheating inevitable?

At least the temperature is falling in the atmosphere.

-Mopey Mandarin

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

But think of how cool it will be to tell your family and friends of your battery injuries.

"Yeah, I was sitting there, minding my own business and WHAM! out of nowhere I get hit by a lithium ion explosion! It was chaos, people were running and screaming and my pants were on fire."

At work we used to have a PET scanner and people used to get so flustered when they heard POSITRON EMISSIONS (dunh-dunh-dunnnnh), they emerged only mildly radioactive and unfortunately, no one became a hideous mutant with awesome powers and that's why I think we got rid of the machine.

Anonymous said...

this has absolutely nothing to do with this post, but rather your comments about urinating your pants in excitement about urban outfitters (from your comments at urban jacksonville-- i couldn't find e-mail f or you, hence my using this forum for contact). RAther than support a disgusting, idea-taking, we-make-like-we're-cool-but-really-we're-just-greedy-corporate-a holes, bland chain store, why not head to 5 points and downtown and support LOCAL businesses. Corportae chain stores do not make for cool culture or a cool city. They make for bland suburbia, which is what I thought this blog was railing against in the first place.

Cash said...

A store is a store. I don't personally go to urban outfitters a lot. But why come down on someone who does. I co-own a store downtown, and I think U.O. coming into town is awesome. I'm sick of all this anti-corporate shit. We live in a capitalist country, deal with it. Besides, I'm sure all those people who mouth-shit on places like that secretly look through their catalogues and go to those stores when they are in other cities.

Suburban Jacksonville said...

We are all about supporting local businesses, and in fact we shop in 5 Points whenever we have the opportunity. But like Cash said, there's no getting around the capitalist system. We just feel that UO will offer a nice alternative to the Gap while shopping at the mall.

Suburban Jacksonville said...

don't forget about bland toilet paper

Anonymous said...

get to know nice video blog -

[url=http://trailfire.com/adipex] adipex cheap [/url]

http://trailfire.com/adipex
[url=http://trailfire.com/adipex] adipex diet pill [/url]